$(ProjectProp:x) doesnt work, at all.

Discussion Forums discussion $(ProjectProp:x) doesnt work, at all.

This topic contains 0 voices and has 8 replies.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
March 21, 2012 at 9:32 am #7884

roadysix
Member

Like the title says. I created several project templates with the GUI editor, however when I tried to access the properties of any of the projects (using the guide on the wiki) I just get blank, nada, nothing..

I took a look inside the *.pnproj file and to my surprise there was nothing about project properties in there, it was only until I went and manually edited one of the properties within PN and saved my project, the properties actually turned up. Alas this still did nothing for my original problem.

Has this project died? the last commit was several months ago and the forums seem to be quite slow. I hope not, I really like programmers notepad, and I would help develop it but jumping into such a large codebase alone is difficult to say the least (plus im not familiar with python.. yet..).

March 21, 2012 at 11:20 am #18776

simon
Key Master

Ah, I assume you were looking for the default values to come up automatically? I don’t remember if that was implemented or not – so I guess maybe not :)

The project is not dead, the last commit on the main branch was a while ago as I was concentrating on some lower-level work to make the base code portable (see the peanut branch). Admittedly the last push to that was still end of January. That being said, work is slow at the moment as I’m suffering from bad RSI which is getting in the way of writing lots of code.

March 22, 2012 at 9:41 am #18777

roadysix
Member

Indeed, so are you aware of the issue, or am I missing something? Tools > Options > Project Tools I have a tool called Test which goes something like this:

Name: Test

Command: cmd.exe

Folder: $(ProjectProp:general/general/output_directory)

Parameters: “$(ProjectProp:general/general/output_directory)”

Shortcut: F7

However when I run the tool the output is just “” and then it continues as normal.

It would be really great to have these project properties working. I could just build a seperate tool to parse the XML of the project but this seems like more of a hack.

While trying to get this to work, I noticed it might be an idea to have Macros associated with each property that you can set in the project template file for each project property. For example, the property above $(ProjectProp:general/general/output_directory) could be shortened to $(OutputDirectory), the project template should also be able to reference these macro’s internally, would be very useful to have, for example:

Intermediate Directory | Name: $(OutputDirectory)$(Build)

which would expand to: “C:SomeOutputDirBuildType”

Which would be -similar- to how visual studio handles these things, as you no doubt would have guessed.

I am glad to hear the project is not dead, keep up the good work, sorry to hear that you have a bad case of RSI :/ though.

Thanks for getting back to me.

March 29, 2012 at 4:13 am #18778

lilleyt
Member

Sorry to hear about the RSI. A couple suggestions you might check out:

If you don’t have an ergonomic keyboard, I like the TypeMatrix. Affordable, spreads the arms so the wrist angle is better and minimizes the distance fingers have to travel by not staggering the key rows.

Probably the best thing you can do is to learn a more modern keyboard layout than QWERTY. QWERTY’s about the worst thing you can do to your wrists. Try Colemak. It’s a bitch to learn but once you get mildly proficient you’ll be surprised at how little your fingers have to move by comparison.

March 29, 2012 at 4:50 am #18779

lilleyt
Member

btw, roadysix, i noticed that for properties such as the project name to be accessible to tools, I had to right-click a project and set it as the active project.

March 30, 2012 at 2:04 pm #18780

roadysix
Member

Thanks for your input lilleyt, however properties such as the project name/path (i.e. $(ProjectPath) ) are working fine, it is simply the $(ProjectProp:x) that is not working for me.

April 8, 2012 at 8:03 pm #18781

simon
Key Master

@roadysix Sorry to take a while to get back to you, I think you should be using:

$(ProjectProp:general.general.output_directory)

I have checked and currently this will only return a value when you explicitly set one – it won’t pay any attention to defaults. I’ll try and do something about this for the next release.

April 9, 2012 at 8:32 pm #18782

simon
Key Master

@lilleyt Thanks for the information. I’m currently using a Microsoft ergonomic keyboard which is reasonable, if not the best I can get – I’ll perhaps try the TypeMatrix. I’ve started looking into changing the keyboard layout, as a friend suggested Dvorak. I’ll look into Colemak too, thanks for the pointer. I definitely need to try something different!

April 9, 2012 at 11:17 pm #18783

roadysix
Member

Ah thank you simon, so I must use periods instead of back slashes, maybe the tutorial should be corrected in that case :). However what I was expecting is not the result i got, I had hoped that the property would simply expand into $(ProjectPath)bin which would further expand into the full path …bin to be used by the tool, which would be much more useful.

Thanks

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.